CHARLES C. MOORE was born in Holt County, Missouri, on February 26, 1866. He was educated in Missouri's public school system, and then attended a teachers' training school. Moore entered politics in 1894, serving as deputy county assessor. He also served as county auditor and recorder from 1895 to 1898. In 1899, he moved his family to Idaho, where he continued to teach school, and establish a successful career in the real estate business. Moore left his mark on Idaho by co-founding the town of Ashton, Idaho, and organizing the first independent school district in Fremont County, as well as the St. Anthony Bank and Trust Company and the Idaho Industrial Training School in St. Anthony. Moore reentered public service, serving as a member of the Idaho House of Representatives from 1903 to 1907. He served as St. Anthony's postmaster from 1908 to 1913, and was Idaho's lieutenant governor from 1919 to 1922. Moore won the 1922 Republican gubernatorial nomination and was elected governor of Idaho. He was reelected to a second term in 1924. During his tenure, the Union Pacific Railroad's main line into Boise was built, the American Falls Project was sanctioned, funding was sought for educational improvements, and legislation was enacted that preserved forests. Also, construction was completed on the Black Canyon Dam, the North and South highway, and the King Hill reclamation project. Moore left office on January 3, 1927, and returned to his real estate business. Two years later, he was appointed as the U.S. Land Commissioner, serving under President Hoover until 1932. After suffering a stroke, Governor Charles C. Moore died on March 19, 1958. He was buried at the Mount Olivet Cemetery in Salt Lake City, Utah.

Sources:

Idaho State Historical Society

Idaho State Historical Society Gubernatorial Manuscript and Archive Collections:

  • Archive Collection of Governor Charles Moore, AR0002.0013.

The Political Graveyard

Sobel, Robert, and John Raimo, eds. Biographical Directory of the Governors of the United States, 1789-1978, Vol. 1, Westport, Conn.; Meckler Books, 1978. 4 vols.