Duties: Directs policy and legislative analysis, research, information sharing and technical assistance services to states related to workforce and economic development policy and programs. Simon has worked on a variety of NGA Center projects including studies on the development of industry-based skills standards and certification, incumbent worker training, adult literacy, school-to-work and restructuring state workforce development systems. He is a nationally recognized expert on workforce development and economic development.
Martin's workforce development program includes the "Next Generation of Workforce Development Policy project;" leading a federal-state-local consortium to prepare state and local workforce systems for the implementation of common performance measures across major workforce, welfare and education programs; providing support to two NGA affiliate associations—the National Association of State Workforce Board Chairs and the National Association of State Workforce Liaisons; and monitoring and analyzing major federal action, including the reauthorization of workforce-related legislation and providing customized technical assistance to states on workforce development and related issues, policies and practices.
Previous Positions: Deputy Director, Michigan Human Investment Fund; Manager, Policy and Coordination, Michigan Governor's Office for Job Training; Manager, Michigan Job Opportunity Programs, Michigan Governor's Office for Job Training; Program Consultant, Michigan Governor's Office for Job Training; Project Director, Michigan Interagency Collaborative Project, Michigan Department of Labor; Manager, Employment and Career Education, Youth Development Corporation
Education: M.A., Western Michigan University; B.A., University of Detroit
Professional Memberships: Staff Director, National Association of State Workforce Board Chairs
- Simon, Martin, et al., Next Generation of Workforce Development Project – Connecting Workforce and Economic Development (U.S. Department Of Labor: 2005).*
- Simon, Martin, A Governor's Guide to Creating a 21st Century Workforce (NGA Center for Best Practices: 2002).
- Simon, Martin, et al., Transforming State Workforce Development Systems: Case Studies of Five Leading States (NGA Center for Best Practices: 2001).
- Simon, Martin, and Glass, Karen, eds., A Comprehensive Look at State-Funded, Employer-Focused Job Training Programs (NGA Center for Best Practices: November, 1999).
- Simon, Martin, et al., "Working Out of Poverty: Employment Retention and Career Advancement for Welfare Recipients" (NGA Center for Best Practices: June, 1998).
- Simon, Martin, and Glass, Karen, eds., Employing Our Resources (National Association of State Workforce Investment Policy Council Chairs (NASWIPCC): 1996).*
- Simon, Martin, Advancing America's Workforce (National Association of State Workforce Investment Policy Council Chairs (NASWIPCC): 1994).*
- Simon Martin, et al., "State Initiatives on Industry-Based Skill Standards and Credentials" (NGA Center for Best Practices: 1993).
- *The views expressed here are those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the National Governors Association or individual governor's offices.