About the Network
The NGA Outdoor Recreation Learning Network helps governors and their outdoor recreation staff explore strategies to leverage their unique natural, cultural and historical resources to improve access to and help promote economic, social and environmental benefits.
Through peer-to-peer exchanges, research and dialogue, the network highlights how states can best advance outdoor recreation and explore issues related to conservation, stewardship, education, workforce training, economic development, infrastructure, equity, inclusion, public health and wellness.
Fourth Annual Outdoor Recreation Learning Network Meeting
In May 2022, NGA’s Annual ORLN Policy Institute took place in Little Rock, Arkansas, and featured remarks from Stacy Hurst, Secretary of the Arkansas Department of Parks, Heritage and Tourism, and a special signing of the Confluence Accords that demonstrate a state’s commitment to conservation and stewardship, education and workforce training, economic development, and public health and wellness through outdoor recreation. View the meeting agenda.
Thanks to the generous support from ORLN sponsors, Outdoor Industry Association (OIA), REI Foundation, Outdoor Recreation Roundtable and the VF Foundation, the Annual Policy Institute was a productive and meaningful convening for ORLN members. Learn more.
Confluence Of States
Launched in 2018 by a bipartisan group of eight trailblazing states, the Confluence of States was established in recognition of the impact and importance of the outdoor recreation industry and to provide a central point of contact for the diverse businesses, communities and individual constituents that rely on the continued health of our nation’s outdoor recreation industry. The Confluence of States promotes and advances four pillars and 12 common principles of the Outdoor Recreation Industry Confluence Accords which represent a best practice for all states to consider.
National Park Service One-Pagers
- Raise your voice in the movement to protect and share life outdoors.
- Highlighting the importance of parks and outdoor spaces in our daily lives and why they are special.
State Outdoor Recreation Learning Network
- States & Territories in the Learning Network
- States & Territories in the Learning Network with an Office
- States & Territories in the Learning Network with an Office and Confluence Signatory
- * Maryland has a governor-established task force
- The Confluence Signatories are states who have committed to the pillars and principles contained in the Outdoor Recreation Industry Confluence Accords.
State Parks and Outdoor Recreation Websites
Equipping the Outdoor Workforce of the Future: Collaborative Strategies for States and Outdoor Recreation Partners