The Council of Governors (Council) was created by the National Defense Authorization Act for FY 2008 and formally established by Executive Order 13528, issued on January 11, 2010. The Council is intended to serve as a mechanism for governors and key federal officials to address matters pertaining to the National Guard, homeland defense and defense support to civil authorities.
The Council consists of 10 governors appointed by the President – five from each party – with two governors serving as co-chairs. The Executive Order specifically names a number of federal participants in the Council, including the Secretaries of Defense and Homeland Security, the President’s Homeland Security and Counterterrorism Advisor, the Commander of U.S. Northern Command and the Chief of the National Guard Bureau, among others.
To ensure that the Council appropriately represents all governors, the Council co-chairs, through the National Governors Association, share documents for review and discussion with all governors’ offices prior to their approval by the Council.
Catastrophic Disaster Response and Recovery
Ensuring the National Guard is Valued
Federal Budget Discussions
- Co-Chair Letter to Secretary of the Air Force on Space Force Proposal
- Co-Chair Letter to Deputy Secretary Shanahan Regarding Use of Title 32, 502(f)
- Deputy Secretary Shanahan’s Legal Letter on Use of Title 32, 502(f)
- Co-Chair Response Letter to Deputy Secretary Shanahan Regarding Legal Authorities
- Co-Chair Letter to House and Senate Armed Services Requesting Title 32, 502(f) Language in FY19 NDAA
- Co-Chair Letter to Deputy Secretary Shanahan Notifying Department of Request For Legislation on Title 32, 502(f)
News & Testimony
- Governors Welcome Army Commission Report (1/29/2016)
- National Commission on the Future of the Army (9/17/2015)
- Nation’s Governors Welcome New Council Of Governors Appointments (2/24/2015)
- Cybersecurity a Top Priority for Governors (7/15/2014)
- Before the National Commission on the Structure of the Air Force (6/26/2013)
- Governors and DOD Achieve Milestone Agreement on Budget Consultative Process (2/27/2013)
- Governors Applaud Senate Acceptance of Council of Governors’ Legislative Proposal (11/21/2011)
- Nation’s Governors Welcome New Council of Governors Appointments (3/9/2011)