ALBERT G. BROWN, the fourteenth governor of Mississippi, was born in Chester District, South Carolina on May 31, 1813. His education was attained at Mississippi College and at Jefferson College in Washington, Mississippi. He studied law, was admitted to the bar in 1834, and then established his legal career in Gallatin, Mississippi. Brown first entered politics as a member of the Mississippi House of Representatives, a position he held from 1835 to 1839. He also served as a member of the U.S. House of Representatives from 1839 to 1841, and was judge of the Circuit Superior Court from 1842 to 1843. Brown next secured the Democratic gubernatorial nomination, and was elected governor by a popular vote on November 6, 1843. He was reelected to a second term in 1845. During his tenure, a state university at Oxford was authorized; the state’s economy improved; and repayment of bank bonds was endorsed. After completing his term, Brown left office on January 10, 1848. He continued to stay politically active, serving again in the U.S. House of Representatives, a position he held from 1848 to 1853. He also served as a member of the U.S. Senate from 1854 to 1860. Brown served during the Civil War, as a captain in the Confederate Army, and was a member of the Confederate States Senate from 1862 to 1865. Governor Albert G. Brown passed away on June 12, 1880, and was buried in the Greenwood Cemetery in Jackson, Mississippi.