The first native Texan to become governor, JAMES STEPHEN HOGG was born at Mountain Home, the family estate near Rusk, Texas. He was educated in private schools and studied law. He established The News in Longview, Texas, later moving the newspaper to Quitman. In 1873 he was elected Justice of the Peace of the county seat precinct of Wood County. Five years later he was elected Wood County Attorney, and was elected District Attorney in 1880 and again in 1882. In 1884 he moved to Tyler, where he continued to practice law. He was Attorney General of Texas from 1886 to 1890. During his two terms as governor, the Texas Railroad Commission was established, the Railroad Stock and Bond Law was enacted, legislation was passed requiring land corporations to sell their holdings within fifteen years, and the amount of indebtedness by bond issues of county and municipal groups was restricted. After leaving office, Hogg established the legal firm of Hogg, Watkins, and Jones in Houston, and he acquired a substantial fortune when oil was discovered on land that he held. He died in Houston and was buried in Oakwood Cemetery in Austin.