About the Network
The NGA Outdoor Recreation Learning Network helps governors and their outdoor recreation staff explore strategies to leverage their unique natural, cultural and historical resources to improve access to and help promote economic, social and environmental benefits.
Through peer-to-peer exchanges, research and dialogue, the network highlights how states can best advance outdoor recreation and explore issues related to conservation, stewardship, education, workforce training, economic development, infrastructure, equity, inclusion, public health and wellness.
Outdoor Recreation Learning Network – Annual Meeting 2021
The annual meeting discussed how states can advance outdoor recreation issues including economic recovery from COVID-19, developing partnerships to leverage limited public dollars, accessing federal economic development grants, promoting equal access to nature, and using data to support public investments.
Confluence Of States
Launched in 2018 by a bipartisan group of eight trailblazing states, the Confluence of States was established in recognition of the impact and importance of the outdoor recreation industry and to provide a central point of contact for the diverse businesses, communities and individual constituents that rely on the continued health of our nation’s outdoor recreation industry. The Confluence of States promotes and advances four pillars and 12 common principles of the Outdoor Recreation Industry Confluence Accords which represent a best practice for all states to consider.
Great Outdoors Month
- Raise your voice in the movement to protect and share life outdoors.
- Highlighting the importance of parks and outdoor spaces in our daily lives and why they are special.
State Outdoor Recreation Learning Network
- States in the Learning Network
- States in the Learning Network with an Office
- States in the Learning Network with an Office and Confluence Signatory
- * Maryland has a governor-established task force
- The Confluence Signatories are states who have committed to the pillars and principles contained in the Outdoor Recreation Industry Confluence Accords. See links and details below.
- 25 ORLN Members States
- 17 Offices or Task Forces for Outdoor Recreation
- 13 Signers to the Confluence Accords
State Parks and Outdoor Recreation Websites
Equipping the Outdoor Workforce of the Future: Collaborative Strategies for States and Outdoor Recreation Partners
Source Water Protection for Safe Drinking and Recreation: State Partnerships and Funding Opportunities with USDA