Workforce Development & Economic Policy
Governors are working to expand economic opportunity and advance the nation’s global competitiveness by developing the skilled workforce and economic environment required for individuals, businesses and communities to thrive.
As the chief executive officers of their states, Governors set strategic priorities to align workforce and economic development activities to build a shared vision of societal and economic well-being. The NGA Workforce Development & Economic Policy program supports Governors and their appointees in developing and executing on these priorities.
NGA Workforce Development Technical Assistance Program
NGA provides advisors and other Governor-appointed state workforce system leaders with technical assistance on a broad range of workforce development policy issues through policy memoranda; in-state site visits and presentations, and facilitated connections with subject matter experts. The team also holds biannual convenings and monthly briefings and issues a weekly newsletter.
Workforce Strategic Planning Collaborative
The NGA Center’s joint project with the U.S. Department of Labor supports Governors and their advisors as they develop and implement their federally required four-year strategic plans for workforce development. Technical assistance offerings include an emphasis on implementation of federal investments that passed during the 117th Congress, namely the Infrastructure Investment and Jobs Act, CHIPS and Science Act, and Inflation Reduction Act.
NGA Economic Policy Advisors and Economic Policy Technical Assistance
NGA provides Governor-appointed state economic development leaders and advisors with highly responsive and customized best practice research, strategic planning facilitation, timely information from federal partners and subject matter experts, and other support on a broad range of economic policy priorities. This includes an upcoming virtual event series as well as a bi-weekly newsletter.
Meet The Team
- Jack Porter, Program Director
- Sally Rood, Senior Policy Analyst
- Jordan Morang, Senior Policy Analyst
- Sophia Yager, Senior Policy Analyst
- Apprenticeship and youth apprenticeship
- Sector-focused workforce and economic development strategies
- Workforce development financing, governance, and innovation
- Outdoor recreation & economic development
- Service-to-career pathways and public sector employment
- IIJA, CHIPS and IRA implementation Future of work, digital transformation and digital skills
- Disability inclusive workforce policy
- Strategic planning facilitation and best practice guidance on workforce and economic development topics or initiatives
- Strategic guidance, feedback and meeting facilitation services for Governor-appointed state workforce development boards
- Convenings for workforce and economic development advisors and state leaders on emerging issues
- Regular newsletters for state workforce and economic development leaders
- Customized research briefs and best practice presentations upon request