This webinar discusses strategies to improve parent, family, student and community engagement with K-12 schools. Panelists explain the research in this field, offer recommendations for state policy leaders and highlight innovative and evidence-based models that have been successful in schools and communities across the country.
- Anne Henderson, Senior Consultant, National Association for Family, School and Community Engagement (NAFSCE)
- Reyna Hernandez, Senior Director of Research and Policy, National Association for Family, School, and Community Engagement (NAFSCE)
- Windy Lopez-Aflitto, Vice President of Content and Partnerships, Learning Heroes
- Moderator: Catherine Van Ness, Senior Policy Analyst for K-12 Education, National Governors Association
- Beyond the Bake Sale: The Essential Guide to Family School Partnerships (2007), by Anne T. Henderson, Karen L. Mapp, Vivian Johnson, and Don Davies.
- Everyone Wins! The Evidence for Family-School Partnerships and Implications for Practice (2022), by Karen L Mapp, Anne T. Henderson, Stephany Cuevas, Martha Franco, and Suzanna Ewert. Study guide, study summaries, and recommendations for practice can be found here.
- Carnegie Corporation: Joining Together to Create a Bold Vision for Next Generation Family Engagement: Engaging Families to Transform Education
- Connecticut: Definition and Framework for Family Engagement
- Learning Heroes: Parents 2022: Hidden in Plain Sight | A Way Forward for Equity-Centered Family Engagement
- Learning Heroes: Out-of-School Time Programs: Paving the Way for Children to Find Passion, Purpose, and Voice
- Learning Heroes: Unlocking the How: Designing Family Engagement Strategies That Lead to School Success
- Learning Heroes: Developing Life Skills in Children: A Roadmap for Communicating with Parents
- Learning Heroes: Examples of Our Work in Action
- NAFSCE: Reframing the Conversation around Family and Community Engagement
- NAFSCE: Learn more about Statewide Family Engagement Centers including: Catalyzing Family, School, and Community Partnerships: A Review of the Work of the Statewide Family Engagement Centers
- NAFSCE: State Family Engagement Frameworks and SEA Effective Practices
- NAFSCE: State of the States: Family, School, and Community Engagement Within State Educator Licensure Requirements
- NAFSCE: Educator Preparation Resources
- NAFSCE: Opportunities for Family, School, and Community Engagement within the American Rescue Plan (May 2021)
- National Center for Family and Community Connections with Schools: A New Wave of Evidence: The Impact of School, Family, and Community Connections on Student Achievement
- NASBE: Developing State and District Parent Engagement Policies
Reflect And Redesign
The National Governors Association Center for Best Practices K-12 Education Team is hosting a series of conversations with subject matter experts, state education leaders, and practitioners that reflect on lessons learned from the COVID-19 pandemic and elevate strategies and models for redesigning key features of the education system as states and school districts move forward. View all webinars in the series.