Education & Workforce Committee
The Education and Workforce Committee has jurisdiction over issues in the area of education (including early childhood, K-12 and postsecondary) as well as in the areas of workforce development. Members of the committee ensure that the governors’ views are represented in the shaping of federal policy.
2017–18 Committee Leadership
Legislative Director, Education & Workforce Committee
In October of 2016, NGA partnered with the Alliance for Excellent Education on the first-ever Digital ESSA Seminar with national experts on K-12 education offering more than 30 states guidance on the path forward to implement the new law.
Report from the National Governors Association and the National Associations of State Workforce Liaisons and State Workforce Board Chairs on the importance of strong partnership between states and the federal government on workforce development.
The nation’s governors commented on the U.S. Department of Education’s release of the Every Student Succeeds Act accountability rule, allowing for the possibility of a different vision under the incoming Administration and Congress.
- Governors' Principles for Federal Implementation of the Every Student Succeeds Act
- Governors' Early Education Principles
- Governors' Principles for Reauthorization of the Carl D. Perkins Career and Technical Education Act
- Principles for Higher Education Act Reauthorization
- The Promise of the State-Federal Partnership on Workforce and Job Training