The purpose of this memo is to provide an update on state COVID-19 vaccine incentives developed to increase vaccination rates across the country. Please note that vaccination incentives are a relatively novel topic in public policy, and it is not known to what extent incentives can drive increases in vaccinations, but there are some early indications that the right incentive can help.
- The Talladega Superspeedway is offering people aged 16 and older who choose to be tested and/or vaccinated the thrill of driving their car or truck on the 2.66-mile track. Drivers and their riders will take two laps behind a pace car at highway speed, including the 33-degree-high banks.
- To promote vaccination, the Alabama Department of Public Health (ADPH) is sponsoring a TikTok contest for persons between the ages of 13 and 29 to encourage vaccination against COVID-19 before the beginning of the school year. TikTok videos can be submitted between July 16 – August 6, 2021. A panel of judges composed of advertising professionals and ADPH personnel will select four winners who will each be awarded a $250 Visa gift card.
- Executive branch state agency employees who get at least one dose of the COVID-19 vaccine by July 1 will receive a $100 bonus.
- Starting May 26, Arkansans who get a COVID-19 vaccination can receive a $20 Arkansas Game and Fish certificate for fishing/hunting licenses or a $20 lottery ticket that could win a million dollars.
California “Vax for the Win“
- 10 winners selected on June 15 to win cash prizes of $1.5 million each. Any Californian ages 12 or over who has had at least one dose of the vaccine will be eligible to win — no entry necessary. If a minor wins, the funds will be put into a savings account until they turn 18;
- 30 winners selected on “$50,000 Fridays. ”Fifteen winners will be selected on June 4 and fifteen more will be chosen on June 11 to win a $50,000 cash prize each. If a minor wins, the funds will be put into a savings account until they turn 18;
- The next 2 million Californians who begin and complete their COVID-19 vaccinations, starting Thursday, will be eligible to receive a $50 virtual prepaid card or a $50 grocery gift card for Kroger or Albertsons while supplies last.
- On July 1, California will give away 6 vacations, including hotels, food and entertainment for up to four.
- The Colorado Department of Corrections has announced it will provide $500 any of its more than 6,000 staff members who gets fully vaccinated against the coronavirus.
- Colorado Comeback Cash – The Colorado Lottery will conduct a random weekly drawing on behalf of the Colorado Department of Health & Environment to identify one vaccinated Colorado resident each week to win a million-dollar cash prize. All Colorado residents age 18 and older who have received at least one dose of COVID-19 vaccine, as determined by eligibility rules, are automatically entered into the drawing.
- Coloradans age 12 to 17 can now win $50,000 toward college tuition or other postsecondary education. Each week for five weeks, five eligible Coloradans will each be selected to win a $50,000 scholarship. Teens who have received at least one dose of a COVID-19 vaccine may be eligible for the scholarship drawing.
The Connecticut Restaurant Association is partnering with Governor Ned Lamont and the State of Connecticut to launch the #CTDrinksOnUs campaign, where participating Connecticut restaurants will offer complimentary drinks to vaccinated patrons beginning May 19.
#CTSummer OnUs: Residents can enjoy events held across the state and possibly free food in certain restaurants and venues. #CTSummerOnUs includes the following initiatives:
- Make A Splash, Get Vaxxed: Get your first dose at a DPH Van clinic and receive a ticket for free admission to Quassy Amusement Park.
- Rock the Shot: Residents 18+ who have gotten at least one does of a COVID vaccine are eligible to enter a drawing to win concert tickets
- CT Food On Us: Enjoy free food when you get vaccinated at select special events, including:
- Food trucks at the Long Wharf Pier in New Haven
- More options coming soon!
- CT Fun On Us: Receive free admission and perks when you get vaccinated at special events across CT, including:
- Hartford Yard Goats
- Beardsley Zoo
- Mystic Aquarium
- CT Science Center
- Mystic Seaport
- Maritime Aquarium
- Rock the Shot: Residents 18+ who have gotten at least one does of a COVID vaccine are eligible to enter a drawing to win concert tickets
Delaware officials are offering to inmates five days of good time credits, a free video visit, snack bag or a special meal, and an opportunity to be scheduled first for in-person visitations when they resume.
- Delawareans 12 to 17 who receive a vaccine in Delaware will be entered into a raffle for a full scholarship to a Delaware university.
- Delawareans 18 and older vaccinated in Delaware between May 25 and June 29 will have the opportunity to win cash prizes.
- Other prizes include tickets to Firefly, four-day vacations at destinations in Delaware, a dart pass for a year, and free tolls within the state of Delaware.
- All Delawareans who have been vaccinated in Delaware are eligible to win $302, 000 and two low-number license plates.
- Delaware officials are offering to reimburse bars, restaurants, and shops that offer discounts, freebies or other incentives to customers who get vaccinated.
If you are fully vaccinated on Guam and live there, you can enter for a chance to win one of six cars, $10,000 cash, or other great prizes weekly starting on June 16 until Liberation Day (July 21).
At a 70% vaccination rate, all restrictions will be terminated, including social gatherings, travel restrictions, and restaurant capacity limits.
#HiGotVaccinated: Residents who recieve at least one COVID-19 vaccination shot of Moderna or Pfizer or Johnson & Johnson, are eligible to enter from any island/county in Hawaii. Prizes include:
- 100,000 HawaiianMiles courtesy of Hawaiian Airlines (10 prizes will be awarded)
- 50 roundtrip tickets courtesy of Southwest
- 1 million Marriot Bonvoy points courtesy of Marriot Bonvoy (10 prizes will be awarded)
- Two roundtrip tickets courtesy of American Airlines (4 prizes will be awarded)
- One-year auto lease on a quality SUV or Sedan courtesy of AutoSource Hawaii
- $6,000 gift card to Zippy’s courtesy of Zippy’s (1 prize will be awarded)
- Kahala Hotel & Resort Staycation Package courtesy of The Kahala Hotel & Resort
- Vacations Hawaii Vegas Package for Two courtesy of Vacations Hawaii
- Kailua Town Adventure Package courtesy of Alexander & Baldwin
- A pair of roundtrip tickets courtesy of Alaska Airlines (4 prizes will be awarded)
- Snacks for a Year courtesy of Enjoy Snacks/KTM
- Pizza for a Year courtesy of Papa John’s (3 prizes will be awarded)
- One-day ticket and reserved area courtesy of Wet n’ Wild Hawaii (20 tickets awarded)
- Hand painted giclee print, “Hanauma Bay”, valued at $1152 courtesy of artist Thomas Deir
- $1,000 worth of ChefZone gift certificates courtesy of ChefZone
- $1,000 in catering from L&L Hawaiian Barbecue courtesy of L&L Hawai’i
- $1,000 gift certificate courtesy of the Pearl City Shopping Center
- Dinner for 6 courtesy of Merriman’s
- Two $500 gift cards courtesy of Elite Discount Furniture
- $1,000 gift card courtesy of NAPA Auto Parts
- $1,000 in gift cards courtesy of Maui Keto Treats (10 prizes will be awarded)
State employees receive 4 hours of paid leave if they have received or choose to receive the vaccine.
Illinois will give out 50,000 free Six Flags tickets to anyone who has been vaccinated through a partnership with Six Flags Great America payment.
All In Illinois: Illinois resident, that have been vaccinated or are about to get vaccinated, are automatically entered in for a chance at part of our $10 million vaccine sweepstakes. All eligible Illinois residents will be automatically entered into two programs:
- Vaccinated adults are entered into a $7 million cash prize pool. Three $1 million jackpots and 40 $100k cash prizes.
- Vaccinated youth are entered into a $3 million scholarship pool. Twenty $150k scholarship awards are being offered.
- Getting vaccinated before July 1st gets you entry into every draw and the most chances to win a prize, including the first million-dollar top prize on July 8th.
- The first drawing takes place on Thursday, July 8th and will continue through the end of August.
State health officials announced that anyone who gets vaccinated at specially designated sites will receive a box of Girl Scout cookies along with the shot.
- The Kentucky Lottery announced May 10 that, starting immediately, people 18 or older who get a first or second dose of the vaccine at a Kroger or Walmart location will receive a coupon for a free Cash Ball 225 ticket.
- Shot At A Million: Kentuckians 18 years old and older who have received at least their first dose of a Moderna or Pfizer COVID-19 vaccine, or the one-dose Johnson & Johnson vaccine, may enter to win one of three $1 million drawings. Kentuckians 12 to 17 years old who have received at least their first dose of the Pfizer COVID-19 vaccine may enter to win one of 15 full scholarships to a Kentucky public college, university, technical or trade school, which includes tuition, room-and-board and books.
- Shot for a Shot: Participating businesses will provide a free alcoholic or non-alcoholic drink to people who can prove they have been fully vaccinated within the previous seven days.
- Vaccinated individuals can gain free entry into all of Louisiana’s 21 State Parks through July 31. This offer is available to all visitors from Louisiana and elsewhere who have been vaccinated, no matter when they got their shot. This offer does not extend to tour groups.
- ShotAMillion: The Louisiana Department of Health is offering the chance to win $100,000 every week starting July 9th and a grand prize of $1,000,000 at the end of the month to all Louisiana residents ages 18+ who have chosen to receive at least one dose of the COVID-19 vaccine. Louisiana residents ages 12-17 who have gotten at least one dose of the vaccine are eligible to win one of nine $100,000 scholarships.
Maine “Your Shot to Get Outdoors”
Any Maine resident age 18 and older who gets their first shot of a Pfizer or Moderna vaccine, or the single-shot Johnson & Johnson vaccine in Maine will qualify to receive one of the rewards below:
- Fishing License: The Maine Department of Health and Human Services will purchase up to 5,000 year 2021 fishing licenses for Maine residents from the Maine Department of Inland Fisheries and Wildlife.
- Hunting License: The Maine Department of Health and Human Services will purchase up to 5,000 year 2021 hunting season licenses for eligible Maine residents from the Maine Department of Inland Fisheries and Wildlife. Eligible Maine residents include those who have completed a hunter safety course, have previously held a license, and are not felons.
- Maine Wildlife Park Pass: The Maine Department of Health and Human Services will purchase up to 5,000 passes to the Maine Wildlife Park in Gray, which are good for admission through the 2021 season, from the Maine Department of Inland Fisheries and Wildlife. One pass allows admission for up to two people.
- Maine State Park Day Pass: The Maine Department of Health and Human Services will purchase up to 5,000 day passes for Maine residents to Maine State Parks through the Maine Department of Agriculture, Conservation and Forestry. The passes can be used through June 15, 2021. One pass allows admission for one vehicle.
- L.L.Bean Gift Card: The Maine Department of Health and Human Services will purchase up to 10,000 $20 gift cards from L.L.Bean for use at their stores.
- Sea Dogs Admission Ticket: The Maine Department of Health and Human Services will purchase up to 5,000 tickets from the Portland Sea Dogs, the Double-A affiliate of the Boston Red Sox, for baseball games at Hadlock Field in Portland for 2021 regular season.
- Oxford Plains Speedway Pass: The Maine Department of Health and Human Services will purchase from Oxford Plains Speedway up to 5,000 tickets for weekly events in the 2021 racing season.
Don’t Miss Your Shot: Vaccinationland Sweepstakes, a statewide COVID-19 vaccination incentive program that will reward one vaccinated winner with $1 for every person vaccinated in Maine by July 4. Available for those 12 and older. Registration required. The prize is $883,075 as of June 22.
- The state will offer a $100 financial incentive to state employees who elect to receive the COVID-19 vaccine. To receive the incentive, employees must provide their HR office with proof of vaccination, and agree to receive all subsequent CDC-recommended booster vaccinations within 18 months of being fully vaccinated. The incentive is retroactive, so that all state employees who have already been fully vaccinated also will receive the $100 incentive payment.
- VaxToWin: A partnership between the Maryland Lottery and the Maryland Health Department to provide $2 million in prize money for Marylanders who get vaccinated.
Massachusetts “Mass VaxMillions“
Fully vaccinated residents who are 18 or older will have a chance to win one of the five $1 million prizes, while those between the ages of 12 and 17 will be eligible to win one of five $300,000 scholarship grants.
Michigan “MI Vacc to Normal“
Once the state documents that 70 percent of the eligible population received at least one dose, its orders on masks and limitations for public and private gatherings would be dropped.
MI Shot to Win: Residents age 18 and older who have received one dose of vaccine are eligible to register for a combined total of $5 million in cash giveaways:
- $1 million drawing, open to all eligible persons who have received at least one dose of a COVID-19 vaccination between December 1, 2020, and July 10, 2021
- $2 million drawing, open to all eligible persons who have received at least one dose of a COVID-10 vaccination between December 1. 2020 and July 30, 2021
- $50 thousand daily drawing, open to all eligible persons who have received the first dose of the COVID-19 vaccination on the date corresponding to the $50k daily drawing. The deadline to enter the daily drawing is 11:59pm ET the day prior to the drawing
- Scholarship Drawings, open to all eligible persons who have received at least one dose of a COVID-19 vaccination between December 1, 2020, and July 30, 2021.
Minnesota “Your Shot to Summer”
- Your Shot to Summer: Minnesotans who get vaccinated between Memorial Day weekend through of June 30 will be eligible to choose a reward from nine different options. The incentives are state park passes, fishing licenses, and tickets to fairs and amusement parks. There is also the possibility to receive a $25 Visa card.
- Cheers to the Vaccine: Minnesotans 21 years of age and older who have received at least one COVID-19 vaccine dose will be eligible for a free or discounted drink at participating establishments starting May 28 through June 30.
Nevada “Vax Nevada Days“
- As part of a public health initiative, the Nevada Office of the Governor and Department of Health and Human Services is partnering with Immunize Nevada and IGT Global Solutions Corporation (IGT) (the “Program”) to launch “Vax Nevada Days” to encourage Nevadans to receive the COVID-19 vaccine (the “Project”).
- Each week of Vax Nevada Days the Project will conduct random drawings to identify vaccinated Nevada residents as winners of cash, post-secondary education saving plans, state parks annual permits or fishing licenses (the “Promotion”). Winners will be announced weekly starting July 8, 2021, with the winner of the GRAND PRIZE OF $1,000,000 announced August 26, 2021. Vaccinated Nevada residents will have nearly 2,000 opportunities to win.
- Shot and a Beer: In partnership with the Brewer’s Guild of New Jersey, the Governor’s Office launched the “Shot and a Beer” program to encourage eligible New Jerseyans ages 21 and over to get vaccinated. Any New Jerseyan who got their first vaccine dose in the month of May and took their vaccination card to a participating brewery received a free beer, courtesy of the participating brewery. This program ended May 31.
- Vax and Visit: Beginning May 27 through July 4, the New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection will offer a State Parks Vax Pass – allowing free access to State parks, including Island Beach State Park – good through Dec. 31, 2021.
- Residents who get vaccinated before the end of May, including anyone who has received their shots in the preceding five-plus months, will also be eligible to have dinner with Murphy and first lady Tammy Snyder Murphy.
New Mexico “Vax 2 the Max Sweepstakes”
- Vax 2 the Max Sweepstakes: Five weekly drawings will award one $250,000 winner from each of the state’s four public health regions, for a total of $1 million in cash prizes each week. A grand prize of $5 million will be awarded at the conclusion of the sweepstakes, in early August, to one winner drawn from the statewide pool of vaccinated New Mexicans who have opted into the sweepstakes.
- The New Mexico Department of Health announced a $100 incentive for New Mexicans who complete their vaccination series or receive a single-shot Johnson & Johnson vaccination through June 17.
- Spin the PRIZE Wheel: The New Mexico Lottery will bring 10 “prize wheels” to providers who have partnered with the state registration system; these sites will be spread across the state. New Mexicans receiving vaccinations at these sites will be eligible to win assorted prizes, including New Mexico Lottery tickets.
- Governor Andrew Cuomo began a promotion that would provide free tickets to Mets games from May 24 through June 17 and to Yankee games from May 7 through June 6 for newly vaccinated people, along with another promotion that gave residents free weekly subway passes.
- Vaccination program that will provide free NYS Lottery scratch-off tickets to individuals 18 and over with a grand prize of $5 million.
- Every person who receives the COVID-19 vaccine, either a first dose or single dose of Johnson & Johnson, anywhere in New York State this week is eligible to receive a free two-day pass to any state park.
- The State is partnering with six public transportation providers in Upstate New York to incentivize more New Yorkers to get vaccinated. The six providers cover the Capital, Finger Lakes, Central New York, and Southern Tier regions. Anyone who receives their first dose of Pfizer or Moderna or the single-dose Johnson & Johnson vaccine at any provider in New York State between June 15 and July 14 and presents proof of vaccination at a participating transportation redemption center no later than July 14 will receive an unlimited seven-day public transportation pass for a participating provider’s transit network.
- Get a Shot to Make Your Future: Parents or legal guardians of any New Yorker, ages 12 to 17, can enter their child who has received at least their first COVID-19 vaccine dose, for a chance to win one of 50, four-year full-ride scholarships (including tuition, fees, room-and-board, and expenses) to any New York State public college or university.
- North Carolinians 18 and over who have received at least one dose of a COVID-19 vaccine will be automatically entered into four drawings for a chance to win a $1 million cash prize. Youth between the ages of 12 and 17 who have received at least one dose of the COVID-19 vaccine will be automatically entered into four drawings to win $125,000 towards post-secondary education. The $125,000 can be used at any post-secondary institution.
- From May 26 through June 8, select vaccine sites will offer Summer Cash Cards in Mecklenburg, Guilford, Rowan and Rockingham counties. Anyone 18 and older who gets their first dose of a COVID-19 vaccination — or drives someone to their vaccination — will receive a $25 cash card after vaccination at a participating location while supplies last. Cards are for the first dose only for both the person being vaccinated and the driver.
- Ohioans aged 18 and older will be entered into “Ohio Vax-a-Million,” a weekly drawing with a prize of up to $1 million. A total of five weekly drawings for each prize will take place, with the first winners being announced May 26. Winners must have received at least one dose of a COVID-19 vaccine by the date of their respective drawing.
- Ohioans 17 and under who are eligible to receive a COVID-19 vaccination will be entered into a drawing for a full, four-year scholarship to any of Ohio’s state colleges and universities, including full tuition, room and board, and books. A total of five weekly drawings for a full, four-year scholarship will take place, with the first winner being announced May 26.
- Oregonians 18 and older will have the chance to win $1 million or one of 36 prizes of $10,000 – with one winner in each county in Oregon. Oregonians age 12 to 17 will have a chance to win one of five $100,000 Oregon College Savings Plan scholarships. All Oregonians who have received at least one dose of a COVID-19 vaccine by the draw date will be entered to win.
- Portland Timbers and Thorns will be giving away an Oregon travel prize at three upcoming home games to encourage Oregonians to get vaccinated. The travel prizes, being offered through Travel Oregon, are valued at up to $2,000 and include lodging, accommodations, dining, and activities for two at iconic Oregon travel destinations.
- Example travel prizes include 3-night ski trips to Mt. Hood or Mt. Bachelor, kayaking on the Oregon Coast, a visit to Ashland for the Oregon Shakespeare Festival, and a wine tour of the Willamette Valley. All present will be eligible to win.
In addition to the general vaccination drawing for $100,000 for 10 weeks open to all residents, the Government of the Virgin Islands will also sponsor a drawing limited to employees who work in the Territory’s Education system and will feature three cash prizes in each district: $25,000 for 1st place; $10,000 for 2nd place and $5,000 for 3rd place.
Washington “Shot of a Lifetime”
The Washington State Lottery will be conducting a giveaway seriesduring the month of June, working with state agencies, technology companies, sports teams and higher education institutions across the state to offer a myriad of different prizes to vaccinated individuals. The incentives include:
- Lottery cash drawings, with prizes totaling $2 million
- Higher education tuition and expense assistance
- Sports tickets and gear
- Gift cards
- Airline tickets
- Game systems and smart speakers
- West Virginia is offering $100 savings bond or $100 gift card to anyone between the ages of 16 to 35 who receives, or has already received, a COVID-19 vaccine. Money for this incentive will come from federal CARES Act funding.
- Do it for Babydog: Save a Life, Change a life: The giveaway will include a $1.588 million grand prize, a $588,000 second prize, weekly drawings for $1 million, full scholarships to any West Virginia state college or university, custom-outfitted trucks, weekend vacations at state parks, lifetime hunting and fishing licenses, custom hunting rifles and custom hunting shotguns.
- West Virginians 12 to 17 years of age, who have received at least their first dose of the Pfizer COVID-19 vaccine, may enter for a chance to win one of five, four-year full-ride scholarships, including room-and-board, tuition, and books, to any West Virginia state college or university.
- West Virginians 18 years of age and older, who have received at least their first COVID-19 vaccine if receiving the Pfizer or Moderna vaccines or one dose if receiving the Johnson & Johnson vaccine, have a chance to win one of several large prizes.
County and City-Specific Incentives
City leaders began a sweepstakes for a free car to any resident who was vaccinated.
Offering free tickets and/or discounts for vaccinated individuals at specific attractions, including:
- NYC Aquarium
- NY Botanical Garden
- Brooklyn Botanic Garden
- Bronx Zoo
- Public Theater Membership
- Brooklyn Cyclones
- New York City Football Club
- NYC Ferry
Mayor Bill de Blasio says he plans to add more incentives to the pot in the coming days as he inches closer to his goal of fully inoculating at least 5 million New York City residents by the end of June.
Detroit, Michigan “Good Neighbors driving Detroiters”
Giving out $50 prepaid debit cards to anyone who drives another person to a vaccination site, with no limit on how much a person can earn doing this.
Announced an incentive program of its own called “shots for swag.” Health officials in Wyoming hope raffle prizes sponsored by local businesses will get the county 80 percent vaccinated by July 4.