Governors of states and territories, working in close collaboration with local partners, have responsibility for a wide array of activities to ensure COVID-19 vaccines are effectively and equitably distributed and administered.
State responsibilities for COVID-19 vaccines include determining allocations to critical populations; receiving vaccine allocations from the federal government; managing the systems for ordering, distributing, and monitoring vaccines; supporting the administration of vaccines in a wide variety of health care and community settings; and engaging and communicating with communities in creative ways to address those who may face barriers to access or be hesitant to get the vaccine.
This page contains COVID-19 vaccine resources that may help inform state and territorial planning efforts, as well as a list of publicly available state and territory vaccine public health pages or plans. Please note this list is not exhaustive of statewide actions.
State and Territory COVID-19 Vaccine Information
NGA COVID-19 Vaccine Resources
- NGA: State Strategies To Increase COVID-19 Vaccine Uptake In Rural Communities (13 Aug 2021)
- NGA: Information Campaigns And COVID-19 Vaccine Messaging: Applying Lessons Learned From The 2020 Election (3 Aug 2021)
- NGA: COVID-19 Vaccine Incentives (30 Jul 2021)
- NGA: State Strategies For Engaging And Leveraging Primary Care Providers As COVID-19 Vaccinators (7 Jun 2021)
- NGA: Phased Allocation Of COVID-19 Vaccines: State And Territorial Approaches (7 Apr 2021)
- NGA: COVID-19 Vaccines And Emerging Viral Variants (10 Mar 2021)
- NGA: COVID-19 Vaccine Communications Resources (11 Feb 2021)
- NGA: COVID-19 Vaccine Prioritization And Administration In Correctional Settings (13 Jan 2021)
- NGA: Allocating COVID-19 Vaccines In Initial Phases Of Distribution: Federal Recommendations And Considerations For States (23 Dec 2020)
- NGA: Supporting An Equitable Distribution Of COVID-19 Vaccines (9 Dec 2020)
- NGA: Information Systems And Data Flow For COVID-19 Vaccine Distribution And Administration (24 Nov 2020)
- NGA: Update On COVID-19 Vaccine Development And Production (29 Oct 2020)
- NGA: Preparing For The COVID-19 Vaccine And Considerations For Mass Distribution (3 Aug 2020)
- CDC: Understanding How COVID-19 Vaccines Work
- CDC: Benefits of Getting a COVID-19 Vaccine
- CDC: Facts about COVID-19 Vaccines
- CDC: Frequently Asked Questions about COVID-19 Vaccination
- NASHP: States Plan for Vaccinating their Populations against COVID-19
- NGA Partner Resources – COVID-19 Vaccine Distribution And Communications Plans
- USC: Polar Bear Portable Freezer/Coolers for Medical Use
- Rapid Community Assessment Guide
All NGA COVID-19 memos can be found here, or visit COVID-19: What You Need To Know for current information on actions States/Territories are taking to address the COVID-19 pandemic; as well as advocacy, policy, and guidance documents for protecting public health and the economy.