With concerns over job creation and business growth holding a prominent—and persistent—position on policy agendas today, governors are increasingly finding innovative ways to support economic growth, according to a new report from the National Governors Association.
New Engines of Growth: Five Roles for Arts, Culture, and Design focuses on the role that arts, culture and design can play in governors’ policies to create jobs and boost their economies in the short run and transition to an innovation-based economy in the long run.
In particular, arts, culture and design can assist states with economic growth because they can serve the following roles:
- Provide a fast-growth, dynamic industry cluster;
- Help mature industries become more competitive;
- Provide the critical ingredients for innovative places;
- Catalyze community revitalization; and
- Deliver a better-prepared workforce.