WASHINGTON—The National Governors Association (NGA) today released a statement regarding Senate passage for the fiscal year 2019 defense spending legislation:
“Earlier this year, governors requested that Congress include robust funding to ensure the continued readiness of the National Guard, to include personnel and equipment. Governors note how important this funding is, in light of both the massive responses to the 2017 hurricane and wildfire season, as well as ongoing disaster response operations.
Governors support increased funding for key programs that help support the dual mission of their respective National Guard, to include funding for:
- Modernization of Air National Guard C-130 cargo aircraft, F-15s, and F-16s
- Army National Guard Humvee Modernization Program
- Procurement of Army National Guard Blackhawk and Apache Helicopters
- National Guard and Reserve Equipment Account (NGREA)
- National Guard State Partnership Program
- National Guard Cyber Protection Teams
The continued support from Congress provides the National Guard with well-maintained and modernized equipment, greater reliability and improved readiness for life-saving missions undertaken on behalf of our nation during disasters and emergencies.
This funding also ensures that our National Guard continues to be the robust and capable combat reserve of our United States Army and Air Force.
Governors call on Congress to ensure robust funding for these programs is maintained in the final appropriations package for fiscal year 2019.” For more information visit www.nga.org.