The Association provides a vehicle for state workforce board chairs and staff directors to learn from the experiences of others in similar positions, share best practices and solutions to shared challenges, have a unified voice on national policy issues, and strengthen the nation’s workforce development and education systems.
The National Association of State Workforce Board Chairs is a membership organization and is an affiliate of the NGA Center for Best Practices, which supports administration and convenings for the Association. Members of the Association are the chairs of Governor-appointed state workforce development boards, which are responsible for overseeing state workforce development systems. Staff directors supporting state workforce development boards are invited to participate as associate members. The Association provides a vehicle for state workforce board chairs and staff directors to learn from the experiences of others in similar positions, share best practices and solutions to shared challenges, have a unified voice on national policy issues, and strengthen the nation’s workforce development and education systems.
Members of this affiliate Association:
- Exchange information at meetings convened twice each year, which are supported by the Workforce Development Technical Assistance Program and open to state workforce board chairs and directors
- Engage in both joint and separate peer learning calls for board chairs and directors facilitated by NGA staff
- Receive customized technical assistance from NGA staff on an as-needed basis, including best practices research and presentations, board meeting facilitation, and connections to national experts as well as peers in other states
- Advise NGA staff on policy and technical assistance priorities in workforce development
- Chair: Mark Tyler, Chair, Wisconsin Governor’s Council on Workforce Development; Founder and Chairman, OEM Fabricators, Inc.
- Vice Chair: David Farnsworth, Chair, North Dakota Workforce Development Council; Manager, North Dakota Power Generation and Engineering, Great River Energy
- Immediate Past Chair: Laura Beeth, Chair, Minnesota Governor’s Workforce Development Board; Vice President of Human Resources – Workforce Partnerships, Fairview Health Services
- John Rico, Chair, Illinois Workforce Innovation Board; Founder and Principal, Rico Enterprises
- Dennis Bone, Chair, New Jersey State Employment and Training Commission; Executive in Residence, Montclair State University
For more information on the National Association of State Liaisons for Workforce Development Partnerships, please contact Rachael Stephens, Program Director, Workforce Development & Economic Policy at NGA: firstname.lastname@example.org.